Derby 138 is solidly behind us, but the memories will linger for a long time. So will our desire for some of these tasty dishes and cocktails inspired by the main event.
Belgian BBQ Mussels
Created By Belga Cafe
Chef/Owner Bart Vandaele
- 2 pounds of Prince Edward Island Mussels
- 8 tablespoons garlic butter (garlic butter can be made by combining butter with garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and a touch of lemon juice)
- 1 small bottle Stella Artois Beer
- 1 tablespoon each of fresh parsley, chives, basil (chopped)
- 3 small spring onions
- Salt & Pepper
Grill the spring onions. Heat a mussel pot on the grill, bringing it to high heat. Add the mussels with salt and pepper to taste, then add garlic butter. Stir in the bottle of beer and put on lid to keep in juices. When mussels open (after about 5 minutes) add the fresh herbs and grilled onions and serve.
Leffe Brown Poached Halibut
- 220 gram Halibut (per serving)
- 2 Bottles of Leffe Brown beer
- 100 grams Butter
- Salt and pepper
- 4 yolks of farm fresh eggs
- 2 tablespoons Fresh tarragon
- 1 spoon classique gastrique
- 8 big spoons of Leffe Brown
- 400 grams butter
- Salt and pepper
Sides & Plating:
- Green asparagus tips poached
- Mix of wild mushrooms
- Curry, salt and pepper
- Baby gray shrimp
- Pancetta chips
- Sumac deco
- Divide the fish into 220 grams serving portions of equal thickness
- Pour 2 bottles of Leffe Brown beer into a casserole dish with 100grams of butter
- Season fish filets and place in the beer bath
- Poach at 80Â°C until fish is done (times depends on the thickness of the pieces)
- Take out and drain on parchment paper.
Sabayon of beer
- Warm beer and melt butter. In a vita mix place yolks and gastrique. Start the blender at full speed and gradually add (drizzle) beer to give it time to get air and become â€œfluffy.â€ Blend at full speed and add butter. Finish off with some lemon juice, pepper and salt. To make it lighter, add more beer â€“ to your taste. Keep warm.
- Poach your asparagus in butter with pepper, salt and nutmeg. Sautee your mushrooms with olive oil, garlic, shallots, sage. Add salt, pepper and curry (just a pinch) to taste.
- Place asparagus tips and mushrooms in the middle of your plate. Place fish on asparagus and mushrooms and top with baby gray shrimp. Drizzle beer sabayon over and around it. Decorate with tarragon, sumac and pancetta chips.
Belga Cafe is located at 514 8th Street, SE in Washington, DC. For more information, go to www.BelgaCafe.com.