Sending the kids back to school means that you’re going to be packing lunches and trying to scramble for afternoon snacks, all while trying to keep everything semi-healthy. These Fruit and Nut Cereal Bars are going to be the snack that you can reach for and know that your family is getting a homemade treat that they’ll love. They take only 20 minutes to set up in the fridge and they’re so much better than what you can buy at the store. You can customize them with your children’s favorite cereal and sneak in dried fruit and nuts that they won’t even notice. Try setting aside time over the weekend to make these with them and they’ll take pride in knowing they had a hand in making their very own snack.
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
7 cups mini-marshmallows
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups fruity-o-shaped cereal
½ cup sliced almonds
½ cup dried cherries
1 cup Greek yogurt chips (optional) or white chocolate chips
- Line a 9×9 pan with parchment and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir continuously until they are melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and vanilla.
- Pour the cereal into the melted marshmallow and stir to coat.
- Add in almonds and dried cherries and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator to allow everything to set, about 20 minutes.
- Melt the Greek yogurt chips or white chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments, stirring after each until melted.
- Cut into bars and dip the bottom of each bar into the Greek yogurt chips. Sit on parchment paper to set up. Once all of the bars are dipped, drizzle more of the Greek yogurt on top if desired.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days.
Recipe by Paige Rhodes